Basks  

Go Back   Basks > Martial Art > General Martial Arts Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Points: 1,788, Level: 24 Points: 1,788, Level: 24 Points: 1,788, Level: 24
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

david is on a distinguished road
Default Generation Better or Worse?

Today I was chatting with Ke Yuan, he brought up a very good question:

Since we all feel we will never learn enough to be better than our masters, does it mean that:
1. current generation is worse than the previous generation
2. next generation will be worse than the current generation.

That may mean as a whole group we are not getting better.

Science and technology advances in a rapid rate. Religion has less and less influence than before. Do you think martial art, taiji will get better and better?

Let us hear from you.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Steve is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughts.

In reply..

My Father taught me snooker (similar to pool) when I was young.

Over time I became quite good. Perhaps even being a better player than him. But although I could beat opponents that my father was not be able to beat, I very rarely could overcome my Father.
Similarly, I am a very poor darts player, my son however who plays for local teams and is quite good; finds it very difficult to beat me.

Perhaps there will always be this element involved in our relationship with our masters? What do other people think?

:-)
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Very good, I think I have similar experiences, your observation also makes me think my own three kids. My three kids also tried to do different things instead of beating each other. I think it is not that they did not try, but they tried and they found it was easier to beat their siblings in other things. This may be the process of learning: find my strongest features to beat your weakest features.

If we want to win in one specific game instead of moving to other games, then our age is not on our side. For example an olympic coach can not really compete in the Game, but he can training some younger olympian to win in the game. So I think it is very possible if you really tried to learn Tai Chi then you may be better than your master in some way, although you may not be better than his signature move, but you can beat him (I think it is likely the students do not want to actually have a formal competition because his is grateful of his master's teaching).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
In reply..

My Father taught me snooker (similar to pool) when I was young.

Over time I became quite good. Perhaps even being a better player than him. But although I could beat opponents that my father was not be able to beat, I very rarely could overcome my Father.
Similarly, I am a very poor darts player, my son however who plays for local teams and is quite good; finds it very difficult to beat me.

Perhaps there will always be this element involved in our relationship with our masters? What do other people think?

:-)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM

[QUOTE=david;79]Very good, I think I have similar experiences, your observation also makes me think my own three kids. My three kids also tried to do different things instead of beating each other. I think it is not that they did not try, but they tried and they found it was easier to beat their siblings in other things. This may be the process of learning: find my strongest features to beat your weakest features.[QUOTE=david;79]

I agree.
Is this an example of taking the path of least resistance?

I feel more optimistic than some, about the future for Tai Chi Chuan, especially if Masters like Byron are prepared to share their knowledge for others benefit.

Any news on when you will be able to translate the videos that are not in English? I am getting so much from the ones that are posted now, I can't wait !!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 AM

I talked to Byron, we will try to make the same videos in English instead of translation.

[QUOTE=Steve;82][QUOTE=david;79]Very good, I think I have similar experiences, your observation also makes me think my own three kids. My three kids also tried to do different things instead of beating each other. I think it is not that they did not try, but they tried and they found it was easier to beat their siblings in other things. This may be the process of learning: find my strongest features to beat your weakest features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post

I agree.
Is this an example of taking the path of least resistance?

I feel more optimistic than some, about the future for Tai Chi Chuan, especially if Masters like Byron are prepared to share their knowledge for others benefit.

Any news on when you will be able to translate the videos that are not in English? I am getting so much from the ones that are posted now, I can't wait !!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks David that would be brilliant!
Or even just a translation (subtitled) as per some of the others would be great too.

Happy New year to you and your family!
Xin Nian Kuai Le, or Gong Hei Fard Choy!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 AM
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%

Seb is on a distinguished road

hi everyone,

here are my thoughts:

One the one hand you need a good teacher who is able and willing to teach.
And on the other hand a student is required who really wants to learn.
Nowdays life is full of opportunities, which can be distractions too.
Both student and teacher need to focus on the skill to keep the level or even raise it.
In my opinion fluctuation is a part of nature. So is the human behaviour and so is the skill level of the generations. Maybe some things will get lost, which doesn´t mean that they can`t be found again. As long as people really try persistantly to improve themselfs and share with other to help them, we are on the right track.

Last edited by Seb; 10-17-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 AM

True, distractions are everywhere we need to focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
hi everyone,

here are my thoughts:

One the one hand you need a good teacher who is able and willing to teach.
And on the other hand a student is required who really wants to learn.
Nowdays life is full of opportunities, which can be distractions too.
Both student and teacher need to focus on the skill to keep the level or even raise it.
In my opinion fluctuation is a part of nature. So is the human behaviour and so is the skill level of the generations. Maybe some things will get lost, which doesn´t mean that they can`t be found again. As long as people really try persistantly to improve themselfs and share with other to help them, we are on the right track.